I remember, when I
was in senior high school, I had chosen as the representative to the
province selection before going to National School Debating Championship. Unfortunately,
I failed, proceeded into semi final round, and I could not make it into one
step closer of final round. Because I know it was the beginning, and it is
true!
UKBA's debaters
As a college student,
I am not only dealing with academic activities, but also organisation. Throughout
my academic and organisation tenure, I have a good control over the way, and I
carry myself the way I am. For me, going to campus, having lecturer, doing
assignments, or even presenting the discussion are not enough for millennial to
begin with. There are many aspects which bring an individual to be better such
as participating and organising an event, being a committee, making friends, and
so on. I totally stand for this!
I have started my
debate carrier since 4 years ago when I got a brochure that Unit Kegiatan
Bahasa Asing were doing open recruitment. Firstly, I was quite doubt, whether
debate is my passion or not. I know I failed when I attended debating competition
in senior high school. At the end, I realize that I love debating itself.
Time flies, I am
getting used to deal with this organization, attending the practice 3 times a
week or even every day from 7 pm to 11 pm at campus, introducing debate to
school, creating competitions, and being invited by schools to be adjudicator
or even a coach. Unfortunately, I always face the cons from my parent when they
know that I always got home at night, I missed the class just because for following
competition, I got sick, even they know that I often failed instead of won. It is
not easy to prove mom and dad what I am doing now is not a wrong path.
1st runner up of RNUDC (Me, advisor of UKBA, Ridho, & Elsa)
Through debating, I am
used to improve my critical thinking through reading about politics, economics,
educations, laws, religions, and many more. I know I am not expert of those
skills, but at least I know little about it. Every day, I open CNN, BBC, Fox,
and other media to read the up-to-date issues. I know for some people it would
be bored. It is not interesting at all. All in all, I have to do that for the
sake of debate.
Furthermore, I do
coaching and adjudicating to some senior high schools in West Sumatera. It is
interesting because first I can travel freely; second I can make a link; third
I even get wage; and most important thing is I learn how to actualize and contribute
myself. The story of debate also brings me to get more projects until right now.
Not only about debate, but also academic one. Some lecturers often ask me to be
the research assistant in finishing final report of papers. I learn how to be a
professional worker under the circumstances as non-graduate student, yet. Finishing
the report also is not as easy as I see such as staying up till mid night, doing
revision, analyzing the budget, or even printing wrong pages.
Besides debate
activities, I am currently dealing with my thesis. I go to library 4 times a
week. I am collaborating with my lecturer to investigate and research about
debate in perfective of language and gender. Exactly, my thesis is about debate. It looks funny or bored, since
people might say that all I do is about debate and debate. That is called
passion. When you love it, you will enjoy it.


Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar